Sunday, March 11, 2012

(MommyJD) My Son the Homebody

Aside from singing the song, my son is unaware of the days of the week. Every morning when he wakes up he asks the same question: "Am I going to preschool?" 5 times out of 7 the answer is yes (unless it's a holiday). But on the weekends and days when there is no school, my reply is "No, it's ____ (Saturday, Sunday, Christmas, etc.) You'll go back to school on Monday." His follow-up question then is usually, "Are we staying at home? Me (usually): "Yes, we're staying at home." Then he proceeds to break out into a celebration of yesssses and yipppeeeees. Oh Lord, I've turned my son into a homebody.

When Gr was my only baby, we used to paint the town red, purple, and orange. Before his first birthday he visited every children's museum, aquarium, and planetarium in the Chicagoland area. I even made a Shutterfly photo book displaying pictures of all our outings. Great memories! Only thing is he doesn't remember those trips. And while he would love to go back (and I will take him back, I promise), he's gotten used to us just being in the house since KJ has come into our lives. Especially since she's been sick and can't venture out into the cold weather.

Now don't get me wrong, being a homebody does not mean that my son sits and watches TV all day (although he probably would love that too). He is actually more high maintenance when we stay in the house. For example, today is Sunday and it's 8:34am. My son woke up at 7am demanding his breakfast. Then we moved on to a phonics DVD. And since I've been typing this post he has requested coupons (yes I let him "play" with my expired coupons) and to do arts & crafts. Sticker mosaics should keep him busy for at least the next 20 minutes. If I'm lucky his grammy will come entertain him for a few hours because, and it still saddens me to say this, Gr does not take a nap anymore. Nope, no more nap time battles for us. The upside to that is he goes to bed at 7 on the dot.....and I'm thinking of pushing it up to 6:30pm...

If he is not entertained, my son has a tendency to follow me around the house. I can't even use the bathroom in peace- but I know I'm not alone with that sentiment. Sadly my son thinks he can walk in on anybody who is using the potty- even non-relatives. We're working on it though. There's a book called Potty Animals that addresses this issue and more.

Hopefully our days at home won't turn my son into a hermit. Although I wouldn't mind him staying home a few nights when he gets to high school so that I won't have to worry about him running around in the streets!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by A Mommy's Blog Design (© Copyright 2012)