Tuesday, March 1, 2011

(2 Karats and a Kid) A promise fulfilled - November 2, 2010


Mommy-ism #3:  


Absolutely nothing happens by chance -- there is a divine hand guiding us along the way.


November 2, 2010.

Since we had to be at the hospital at 6:30 am, Patrick and I woke up that morning around 4:00 am and were packed and ready to go by 5:45 am.  Patrick, the epitome of "calm, cool, and collected," was a nervous wreck which I would NOT have noticed had it not been for the fact that it took him about ten minutes to get out of the parking space in our garage.

As he tried backing his truck out of the space the first time, he ran into a cement column that almost completely took off his driver side mirror.  He adjusted himself and tried again only to run his SUV into the column for a SECOND time.

I realized that my husband was on the brink of a nervous breakdown so I just put my hand on his knee to try to calm his nerves.  In perfect form he said to himself, "Well, I got my woman.  I don't need to impress anyone with my car.  MAN, I wish I could smoke a black and mild right now...."

Once we arrived at the hospital things moved rapidly.  We checked in and an hour later I was in the operating room.   The surgeons walked me through every thing that was happening.  My awesome OB/GYN was there to conduct the c-section.  There was even an elderly black woman there who reminded me of my grandmother who was there to hold my hand until my husband came into the operating room.   After about 30 minutes of the surgeons doing "something" my doctor told me that I would feel the pressure of an elephant on my abdomen -- then after moments of silence, I heard the most magical sound in the world,  Roman yelling to the world, "Hey world...I'm here!"  I was truly in love in the instant that I heard his voice!

He was 10 pounds, 8 ounces and 21 inches of glorious thickness!

It was the most wonderful, beautiful, and calm experience that I could have hoped for.  Yet, it wasn't until days later that I realized how serendipitous the experience actually was or the significance of Roman being born on that date.

Six years prior, on November 2, 2004 my father laid unconscious in the emergency room of a hospital after a traumatic injury to his head.  After several seizures, the doctors were able to momentarily stabilize him and I was able to see him for the first time.  As I stood over his bed with my mother, I felt compelled to pray.  The words of my prayer came from someplace outside of myself but during that time I told my father that I knew that he would live to meet his all of his grandchildren.  As he laid unconscious I told him to hold on to that image and asked him to squeeze my hand if he could hear me and he did.

Through the years, my father suffered numerous setbacks pertaining to his health but I believed the prayer that I spoke that day with such certainty that the promise of him meeting his grandchildren was oftentimes the only thing that I could hold on to when I didn't know if he would be okay.

So after it was all said and done, I realized that all those weeks of worrying were truly for naught.  Not only did Roman come "on-time", but the sequence of events that led to his arrival into the world conspired to make his birthday the PERFECT DAY.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by A Mommy's Blog Design (© Copyright 2012)